Often times when I am talking about Christianity I try to speak generally. I focus on claims the Bible makes and some of the more popular beliefs that Christians hold. This gets me into trouble because obviously not all Christians are the same and there will always be a Christian who claims that the majority of Christians don’t believe in God literally or something.
Look, I get that some Christians are much more rational minded than other Christians. That’s awesome, but the fact is that Christianity isn’t as rational as these Christians. Plus, the majority of Christians really aren’t that rational. I joke about Christians who don’t believe in a literal God and yet I have actually met Christians who really don’t. But for most people, that would be a pretty absurd claim, because belief in a literal God is kind of – shhh — the core of the religion. But hey, who I am to judge who is a “True Christian?” The way I see it there are no “True Christians” because no one actually follows the Bible literally or metaphorically anyway.
Enter my quiz. I want to see just how far down the rabbit hole of craziness Christians are willing to go. As far as I am concerned, none of these things has any valid supporting evidence and are all pretty much crazy. But craziness is a sliding scale. Some beliefs are crazier than others. So here we go.
Do you believe in…
1. Some vague higher powerish deity?
2. A personified deity?
3. The God of the Bible (i.e. the character as described in the Old and New Testaments)?
4. A historical Jesus?
5. The divinity of Jesus?
6. The resurrection of Lazarus?
7. The resurrection of Jesus?
8. The Exodus?
9. The Flood?
10. The water into wine trick?
11. A literal Adam and Eve?
12. The literal Tower of Babel?
13. Revelations (i.e. the end of the world)?
15. The walking, talking snake?
Okay, count up the ones you believe and that how far alone the craziness scale you are. If you believe in all 15, then you are really nuts. For me fellow atheists, feel free to give this quiz to Christian friend and relatives. Have fun.
- Dear Christians: Have You Heard The Harsh Reality? (skepticink.com)
- Hello? Your Beliefs Are Ridiculous!! (skepticink.com)
- 5 Best Books To De-Convert A Christian (skepticink.com)
- Searching For The Historical Hercules (skepticink.com)
- The Violent Imagery of The Crucifix (skepticink.com)
- Atheism 101: Hitler, Stalin, and Mao (examiner.com)